Trails and Sites
View/Download trail suggestions (pdf) courtesy of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources
Less than 1 mile hike:
Starved Rock trail from VC.pdf
Less than 2 mile hike:
Starved Rock French Canyon trail from VC.pdf
2-2.5 mile hike:
French Wildcat Lovers Leap Eagle Cliff Overlooks trail.pdf
1.5 mile hike:
Lovers Leap Eagle Cliff Overlooks trail.pdf
3 mile hike:
Aurora Sac Kickapoo St. Louis trail.pdf
1, 3, or 10 mile combination hikes:
Illinois Ottawa Kaskaskia Canyons and Council Overhang trail.pdf
Links to Canyon and Site Information
Hike by estimated time
- Less than an hour
- French Canyon, Starved Rock (round trip from Visitors Center)
- St. Louis Canyon (round trip from Visitors Center)
- Council Overhang, Kaskaskia Canyon (round trip from Visitors Center)
- Campanula, French (round trip from the Lodge)
- Aurora, Sac, Kickapoo (round trip from the Lodge)
- 1 to 3 hours
- French Canyon, Starved Rock, and Eagle Cliff (round trip from Visitors Center)
- Lodge to the top trail Aurora, Sac, Kickapoo, and St. Louis Canyon (one way from the Lodge)
- 3-5 hours
- LaSalle Canyon, Tonti Canyon (round trip from Visitors Center)
- Visitors Center, Starved Rock, French Canyon, Eagle Cliff, Wildcat Canyon, Tonti Canyon, LaSalle Canyon (one way from Visitors Center)
- all day
- The River Tour: Starved Rock, French Canyon, Lovers Leap, Eagle Cliff, Wildcat Canyon, Basswood, Lone Tree, Tonti Canyon, LaSalle Canyon (round trip from Visitors Center)
- The whole park East to West: Salt well, Illinois, Iroquois, Council Overhang, Kaskaskia, Ottawa, Hennepin, Hidden, Owl, LaSalle, Tonti, Lone Tree, Basswood, Wildcat, Beehive Overlook, Eagle Cliff, Lover’s Leap, Pontiac, Starved Rock, French, Campanula trail, Aurora, Sac, Kickapoo, and St. Louis (one way from parking at Illinois Canyon)
Notes: These times are based on recommended parking areas listed in the trail links on this page. One way assumes you have a vehicle waiting at the end of the trail so you can drive back to your embarkation point.
Guided hikes Summer 2020
Pre-Register at eventbrite.com
Visitors can register for guided hikes and visitor center tours at www.eventbrite.com.
Guided Hikes to various locations within the park will start on July 10th through August 30th on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
Indoor Visitor Center tours of the exhibit hall and museum will take place at 3 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, July 10th through August 30th.
The Starved Rock Lodge offers some wonderful options for folks who would like more choices. Check out the lodge activities!