Sunday, November 10th at 1:30-2:30 p.m.
Saving Our American Raptors (SOAR) will lead a presentation with live birds of prey including owls, hawks, falcons, and an eagle. Discover the natural habitats, behavior, and adaptations of these magnificent animals.
Photography show for adults 18 years and older that are non professionals in their field (earn more than 25% of their annual income from the skill of photography).
Criteria: Black and white or color photography of birds, insects, reptiles, amphibians, mammals, landscapes, and water as it applies to the nature showcased in the state of Illinois. The showcased material must originate from nature preserves, state parks, city parks, or county parks. No man-made structures, vehicles, or human beings are allowed. Size of 8 x 10 — 11 x 14 on mat board with hanging mechanism (no frames or prints outside of these dimensions please).
Please visit the Starved Rock Foundation website at www.starvedrockfoundation.org for further information about the photo contest including he entry registration form. Entry forms must be submitted to DNR.StarvedRock@illinois.gov no later than November 24, 2019. All entries must be brought to the park no later than 3:00 p.m. on December 1. Entries will be open to the public for viewing December 3 — 16. Ribbons will be awarded December 8. People Choice Award (judged by the public) and the Starved Rock Award (judged by the Sandwich and Princeton Photography Clubs).
Saturday, December 21 at 7:00 — 8:30 a.m.
Email DNR.StarvedRock@illinois.gov by December 14
Park trails and parking lots do not open until 6:30 a.m. unless you are hiking with the park interpreter on the winter solstice. Meet at the parking lots to Kaskaskia and Ottawa Canyons along Route 71. Nothing compares to the solitude of a winter hike at dawn.
By Park Interpreter Lisa Sons
Friday, November 15 at 5:30 — 7 p.m.
Email DNR.StarvedRock@illinois.gov by November 8
The trails at Starve Rock close at dark daily, unless you are attending a guided hike such as this one with the Park Interpreter. Enjoy the 1.5 mile trail to Lovers Leap and Eagle Cliff Overlooks along the boardwalk under the glow of the full moon.
By Park Interpreters
By Sharon and Dan Peterson of Incredible Bats
Bats eat bugs, they don’t eat people, bats eat bugs, they don’t play in your hair….Bats are our friends whether they eat insects or fruit. Find out just how important bats are to our planet. Visit with some live and very friendly Egyptian Fruit Bats as well their non-stinky friend the skunk and friendly tarantula.
Saturday, October 26 at 2:30 – 3:30 p.m.
Halloween tales and stories from Central Illinois finest storyteller Bill Myers. Great program for all ages!
Date: May 4th & 5th, 2019 -CANCELLED DUE TO FLOODING-
Time: 9:30, 11:00, and 1:00
Do we need to register ahead of time? Nope
Age range: All ages
Enjoy the great variety of spring wildflowers at Starved Rock and flowing waterfalls in the Park’s 18 canyons. Free guided hikes leave from the Visitor’s Center at 930am, 11am and 1:00 pm Saturday & Sunday.More hikes may be available leaving on the hour. Check with the VC’,dependent upon available hike leaders & visitors.
- Jan 6: Bobcats The Reclusive Native Cat of Illinois
- Jan 12-13: Winter Wilderness Weekend
- Jan 26-27: Eagle Watch Weekend
- Feb 10: Sandstone Tale Geology of Starved Rock’s Past
- Feb 24: Historic Journey of the I&M Canal
- March 10: Maple Tapping at the Rock
- March 17: The History of Starved Rock 1673-1911
- March 22: Full Moon Night Hike at LaSalle and Tonti Canyons
- March 24: The Illinois Indians History and Culture in Illinois
- April 14: Living with Wildlife A Balance Helping Nature
- April 27: Ecology of Spring Ephemeral Wildflowers
- May 4: Annual Wildflower Pilgrimage
- May 11, 12, 18, and 19: Live Hawk Show
- May 19: Amazing Animals of Illinois
- May 27: Memorial Day Guided Hikes
- June 1, 2, 15, and 16: Live Hawk Show
- June 1: National Trails Day Celebration
- June 21: Summer Solstice Sunrise Trek at Matthiessen Dells Area
- Sept 4: Labor Day Guided Hike
- Sept 8: Monarch Mania Program
- Oct 5, 6, 19, and 20: Live Hawk Show
- Oct 19 -20: Fall Colors Weekend
- Oct 26: Incredible Bats and More!
- Oct 26: Halloween Tales and Stories
- Oct 26: Haunted Trails and Tales – Ghosts of Starved Rock’s Past
- Nov 10: SOAR with Live Birds of Prey
- Nov 15: Full Moon Night Hike
- Nov 24 – Dec 1: Photography Contest
- Dec 21: Winter Solstice Sunrise Hike