January 25-26 2020, 9 a.m. — 4 p.m.
Starved Rock Lodge: Birds of Prey * presented by Illinois Raptor Center
Illinois Waterway Visitor Center: Feathered Soldiers: Enemies and Allies* presented by Tammy Hanley
Starved Rock Visitor Center: The Art and History of Falconry presented by Master Falconer Rich Escutia, and Who’s Who presented by Mark Spreyer
*Admission is FREE for the entire weekend.
A ticket is required for entry into Birds of Prey and Feathered Soldiers. Free tickets for those two shows will be available on Saturday and Sunday morning.
Visit illinoisaudubon.org for more details.
Winter Wilderness Hike
Saturday, January 11th
Hikes leave at 9:30 a.m. from the Visitor Center. There will be several options to choose from: 6/10 of a mile trek to Starved Rock, 1.6 mile hike to Eagle Cliff and Lovers Leap Overlooks, or a 2 mile loop to French Canyon, Wildcat Canyon, and the overlooks.
There will be a 30 minute slide presentation at the Visitor Center for those who are unable to hike the trails.
By Park Staff and Volunteer Naturalists
Limited seating, first come first served. Doors will close when auditorium is full.
Sunday, February 9th at 1:30 p.m.
This is a “live bird of prey” program consisting of native Illinois raptors as well as numerous educational displays. Suitable program for all ages!
By Northern Illinois Raptor Rehab Education
Sunday, February 16th, at 1:30 p.m.
This program will cover Mark’s newest book, “Inquietus: LaSalle in the Illinois Country.” A power point presentation and discussion will examine the explorers achievements and setbacks in today’s Illinois, with special emphasis on the Starved Rock area.
By Volunteer Park Historian and Author, Mark Walczynski
- Jan 11: Winter Wilderness Hikes
- Jan 25-26: Eagle Watch Weekend
- Feb 9: Live Eagle, Hawks, and Owls
- Feb 16: French Explorer LaSalle in the Illinois Country
- March 8: Tap a Tree for Maple Sap
- March 20: Starved Rock March Sunset Equinox Hike
- March 29: Mushrooms of Illinois
- April 19: Dave’s Traveling Reptile Show
- April 25: Starved Rock Wildflower Pilgrimage Hikes
- May 25: Memorial Day Holiday Hike
- June 21: Starved Rock June Sunset Solstice Hike
- July 4: July 4th Holiday Hike
- Sept 7: Labor Day Holiday Hike
- Sept 20: Interesting Insects (live animals)
- Sept 20: Starved Rock September Sunset Equinox Hike
- Sept 27: Reptiles and Amphibians of Illinois (live animals)
- Oct 17: Fall Colors Hikes
- Oct 24: Incredible Bats (live animals)
- Oct 24: Ghosts of Starved Rock’s Past
- Nov 1: Big Run Wolf Ranch (live animals)
- Dec 6: Native American Tool Making
- Dec 5-13: Starved Rock Photography Show and Contest
- Dec 13: Coyotes and the Urban Landscape
- Dec 21: Sunset Winter Solstice Hike
- Live Hawk Shows by Falconer Rich Escutia
- 1-3 p.m. outside of the Visitor Center by the Eagles Roost Cabin.
- May: 16th and 17th
- June: 13th, 14th, 27th, and 28th
- July: 18th, 19th, 25th, and 26th
- August: 29th and 30th
- September: 12th and 13th
- October: 17th and 18th